Pages

Wednesday, September 10, 2014

How to Plan a Shopping Trip & 7 Foundation Shopping Tips


I have a love-love-hate relationship with shopping. Over the last couple of years every time I make the trip into Anchorage to shop at the 5th Avenue Mall, I always come home with some amazing things, but I also come home without half of the things that I was intending on purchasing. 
When you find yourself online shopping as much as I do, sometimes venturing into an actual brick & mortar store can be overwhelming. I used to exclusively shop Sephora online when I first moved to Alaska because the only Sephora was inside of JC Penny. It is rather small & it always seemed to be really full of people & I experience a lot of anxiety when shopping in crowds. 
Now that there is a stand-alone style Sephora in the mall, I really enjoy going in to browse & shop. I'm also so happy that we have a Nordstrom as well, although I would not complain if Macy's decided to take over a square of Anchorage as well. ;) 
Next week, I have planned a shopping trip with a friend of mine & I'm super excited! The last time I was shopping in Anchorage was months ago, I was only able to shop for a couple of hours & I'm looking forward to having a full day of shopping. Since this trip is planned a bit in advance I want to actually plan what I will be shopping for so that I won't be coming home with bags of loot but nothing that I wanted. I'm going to break my shopping down by stores first & then include the random things that I want to keep an eye out for. 
Up first of course is Sephora! I keep a list of products, brands & new beauty stuff I want to try in a notebook, & on a note on my phone & scribbled all over random bits of paper. Seriously, I need to get some new notebooks & keep better track of my lists. Recently I have been having issues with my mascara & foundation so both of them are on my list of things to check out. I wanted to share my tip for finding a foundation as well...
Those are my best tips for shopping for a new foundation! While I wish I could find a drugstore foundation that I adore, I always end up disappointed so I primarily stick to high end foundations & use these tips. Recently I purchased a foundation online on a whim & it did not work out! Whatever you do, do not purchase foundation on the spot! Get those samples & apply it yourself at home, wear it for a full day & see what it wears like on your skin throughout the day. Some foundations look amazing for the first couple of hours & then wear terribly after some more time. Don't be afraid to ask for multiple samples, the stores have them & that is what they are for. After you've tried your foundation samples out & found one you LOVE, return to the store to purchase or order it online. I have a few foundations that I will be picking up samples of next week.
 1) Marc Jacobs, Genius Gel 
2.) Hellow Flawless! Benefit Oxygen WOW Liquid Foundation
 3.) Make Up Forever, HD Invisible Coverage Foundation
4.) Urban Decay, Naked Skin Weightless Ultra Definition Liquid Makeup
5.) NARS Sheer Glow
6.) Perricone MD, No Foundation-Foundation
7.) Dior, Nude Skin-Glowing Make-Up
All of these foundations come in a range of shades & have various finishes/coverage. I will be sure to let you know how my sample collecting goes & what I think of each of them in the next few weeks. 
When it comes to mascara, I'm going to take the time to check out a few different ones to see what I can find. Since nothing I have right now is working, I'm going to go with something completely different, especially when it comes to the shape/style of the brush! 
When it comes to the rest of the stuff I'm shopping for, I have made a list of make/up beauty products as well as what stores I want to check out...
    
As you can see there are a couple products that I know exactly what I want & others are products that I want to take a peek at. I'm not sure I will be purchasing all of these things, but by having a list it helps me not get sidetracked into purchasing other things. I do think I want to check out some skincare stuff, but I'm not sure yet so I haven't added it my list.
These are the stores that I know I want to spend some time in. LUSH & the Buckle are both new, I'm really, really, really, excited about checking them both out!! Build a Bear just announced they are closing in a couple of weeks, so I want to maybe get each of the kids a new stuffed animal before that happens. Justin & I always talked about taking the kids to make one, but it just never happened. :( I have wanted to spend some time in Teavana for a while now, but I either run out of time or I have the kids with me. Teavana just isn't the store I feel the most comfortable taking the kids into. The girls need some new earrings & Claires is usually the best choice for little girls accessories. 
Obviously, I'm going shopping with a friend so I will also be going to whatever shops she wants to check out. I just like making a list like this so that I have some sort of a plan before going...it really helps keep my anxiety in check & allows me to purchase the things that I really want, versus random things that I find on a whim. I also want to scope out some birthday/welcome home gifts for Justin, although he was originally supposed to be gone until the mid-end of October, it's looking like the middle of November is when he will actually make it home. His birthday is on the 23rd of November & I want to do something really fun for him this year. 
This post has gotten much longer & more ramble-y than I wanted it to be...why does that always seem to happen? ;) If you are going shopping soon let me know if this post helped you & of course share any of your shopping tips, tricks & ideas!