Pages

Thursday, September 4, 2014

Feminism. For Breakfast.

Breakfast. With a Side of This...
Most of my mornings begin with a quick check of my favorite social media apps, Instagram, Twitter, bloglovin & the continuing time suck that is Facebook. Usually these quick social media viewings involve me scrolling through news feeds & tweets, liking pictures & statuses as I go. Humorous things get retweeted, photos I find interesting or inspiring get their heart button pushed. Once I feel connected with the social media friends I have, I get out of bed & begin my day. 
After this morning, I'm starting to think that I need to re-think my pre rise from bed routine. 

Last night a status came across my newsfeed. I also, end my day with social media checks. I know, I know. 

This, of course is referring to the recent events where multiple celebrities personal photographs were stolen & posted on various sites as if they were coupons to be handed out on Black Friday. 
Now, out of all of the things that have been posted, tweeted or shared since the situation became publicly known, this is probably not the most offensive.
It struck a cord with me. A irritated, upset, frustrated, cord. 
I took a couple moments to gather my thoughts & determine if it was even worth commenting on. 
Then, I realized that I'm a mother. I'm a mother with daughters. I'm a mother with daughters who will be growing into their own brilliant selves within this current culture. That was enough for me...
I commented.
As I posted my comment, I realized that it really wasn't going to change the individual's opinion of the situation. It wasn't going to impact the other people who liked or commented on this person's status. I considered deleting my comment. 

I considered deleting my comment. 

I'm not sure the exact moment where I lost my voice. I'm not sure when I became hesitant or afraid even to speak my opinion. 

To some of you, the idea of a full time blogger/YouTuber, being hesitant or afraid to speak up, may seem rather odd. The truth is, that talking about beauty products & subscription boxes is, easy for me. I don't feel vulnerable or exposed when I share my opinion about a bad product or I give something a positive review. But when it comes to issues like the one I'm sharing today, more often than not, I usually scroll right on past it & keep my comments all to myself. Or, I rant to one of my closest friends & family...
Today, this morning. I decided to change that. 

The change, really isn't that big of one for me. I used to be one of the most outspoken & bold people within my circle of people. I wasn't afraid of confrontation or calling other people out when it came to topics I didn't agree with. Thanks to a strong feminist upbringing & a high school education that came complete with weekly debates of social issues, politics & environmental issues, I was always confident with speaking my mind & standing up for what I believed in. Somewhere, along the way I lost a bit of that. Somehow, I turned down my own voice. 

Somehow, I became a closet feminist. 

Now, I went to bed last night with all of this weighing on my mind. Then I began my social media scrolling this morning & this is what I found...



WHAT the F*CK!!!!??? Is the first thing that went through my mind upon reading it. I re-read it again, making sure that my pre-coffee, one eye half open state was not effecting my ability to properly read... 
It wasn't. 

Right there. Three sentences. 
There were SO many things I wanted to write. So many things I wanted to shout. I went from pre-coffee grogginess to Beyonce I woke up like this level in about 2.5 seconds. I'm going to take the time now, to address them here on my little space of the internet instead. 

  • Leaving keys in the ignition, or keeping photographs on your iCloud is not grounds for anyone to steal ANYTHING. 
  • People are not tempting anyone when they take nude photographs of themselves. Temptation is not a justification to violate someone else's privacy. 
  • Yes, celebrities put themselves in the public eye. Yes, they often share more of their lives than is necessary. This does not mean they are not people. It does not mean that they deserve to have their private property stolen from them & distributed to the masses like free candy at a 4th of July parade. 
  • People should not be having to take extra precautions or hell, feel afraid to take nude photographs of themselves & store them on their personal iCloud accounts. 
  • Also, Mommy & Daddy buttons?! Seriously? They are vaginas, breasts & penises. If you can't even speak the words & need to hide behind juvenille descriptions of actual anatomical parts, perhaps you need to revisit your high school health class for a refresher course.  
I did leave a second & final comment on the post. 

This comment was essentially, touching on everything I mentioned above. I decided to let it all go, just like Elsa did. I did wish that I had powers of epic freezing proportions so that I could blast ice all over this dude's kingdom.
I then noticed that there were 7 likes on the original status, being the Nancy Drew sleuth that I am, I clicked to see how many of them were males. Expecting to find the majority were penis wielding members of society, I was quite shocked... 6 out of the 7 were WOMEN
What the literal, F*UCK?! 

Then I read the rest of the comments above mine. Women. Women joking about the situation. 
Ladies. Gentlemen. 
This. Bullshit. Is. Not. Funny.

To say I found a renewed appreciation for feminism is an understatement. I just wondered, if it was these individuals private photographs that had been stolen, or their bank statements or televisions, would they feel violated then? At what point has a woman's naked body become something that others feel like they have a right to take for themselves? When did it become acceptable for people to joke about the exploitation & exposure of others? A more educated person could probably answer all of those questions with historical information, facts & years of feminism power. 

I was not given another response to my comment. I was given the gift of being removed from this persons Facebook Friends list. 
Whoopsie. Looks like Christmas came early. 

When I went to use these photos on my social media platforms, I took the time to blur out the individuals profile photo & full name. Privacy. Protection for their identity. This person is not a celebrity or well known public figure. This person made rude, offensive & mis-guided comments. Yet, their personal information was treated with respect. Much less can be said for every, single, person who has ever found themselves in the heart of a horrible situation like the celebrities whose photographs were stolen & distributed over the weekend. 

This was not a scandal. Every time someone is attacked, assaulted or harmed sexually, it is not a scandal. It is a crime. It is a crime that should not be mocked, joked about or taken light heartedly. I'm not quite sure if our society will improve upon the current trend of sexual exploitation or violation in my lifetime, it is certainly not happening over night...

I know this topic is not something commonly found here on AlaskaLove12. Honestly, that might be changing. I'm sure the majority of my content will remain the same, but there might be more posts like this one in the future. 
For now, I'm having feminism for breakfast & savoring every bite of it.