Pages

Friday, June 20, 2014

Alaska Made Haul | Hiking the Butte | Colony Days| & North Star Bakery

Last week before we left to spend the weekend with Justin up at his work site I uploaded an Alaska Made Haul video to my YouTube channel (I'll link it below). We are back and settled again, dentist appointments completed, loads of laundry done...oh, and more packing to go spend a couple weeks with Justin on Monday again. Now that I feel like I've gotten things sort of managed here at home, I wanted to sit down and share all of the lovely Alaska Made Haul items in a blog post as well. 

I picked up all of these items a couple of weeks ago at Colony Days in Palmer. It was such a fun day as we hiked the Butte with my sister-in-law, nephews, a couple of friends and their kids before heading to Colony Days. Once we arrived at the festival we spent some time walking around the open air market & that is where I found all of these Alaska Made things! 

I just love it in Palmer. The mountains are the most wonderful backdrop to Alaska life. The wind is pretty awful at times in Palmer, it's Justin's top reason for why we will never move there. While we were at Colony Days at least 3 booths had entire displays blow over & a couple hand their canopy tents blown over by the wind too! 

The first place I went to pick up some things was the Meadow Creek Boutique booth...
 
 As you can see I pretty much LOVE Meadow Creek Boutique products. I initially went to get the Sugar Whipped Soap in Coconut & some soap for the kids. Well...obviously once I got into the tent/booth I just couldn't resist picking up a few more things. 
The kid did each pick a bar of soap & although they smelled every-single-bar of soap available their favorite colors really won out when they made their choices. Lilliana went for the Cherry Blossom, Nikoli picked Garden of Eden & Danielle selected Lavender Mint. Each of the kids also picked a lip balm (we love them!) I didn't get any pictures of them as the kids have them in their pockets at all times! They picked Root Beer, Plum Tea & Cherry I believe. :) 
Mosquito Salve! Mosquito SALVE! Holy moly this stuff is AMAZING! I initially purchased it thinking that it would do something when it came to the gnarly mosquito bites the kids and I always seem to have in the summer...but WOW. It totally takes away the itch, the redness, the raised nasty bumps we all seem to get within an hour. 
I have not tried the bath bomb yet & the last 3 soaps are goats milk & I mostly purchased them to give as gifts when friends/family come to visit. Of course they all smell wonderful & I just adore the sparkly finish of the Alaskan Forget-Me-Knot. I will link the Meadow Creek Boutique Etsy & Facebook below...so if you are not from Alaska or can not make it to a Friday Fling you too can still own some Alaska Made loot! 
The next booth I stopped by was on recommendation from my sister-in-law & it was Sweetie Pies Fried Pies. If you live in the Mat-Su area you must get yourself to a Friday Fling & bring home a box of these delicious treats! They are handmade pies that are filled with scrumptious fillings & a whipped cream cheese mousse! Such a sweet treat perfect for summer time! I enjoyed the raspberry one shown here with a cup of coffee in my new MEZ Alaskan Pottery mug (also purchased at Colony Days), early in the morning before the kids had awoken. 

How adorable is my new little mug? Over the last couple of months I have realized that I really enjoy collecting mugs & tea cups of all kinds but I really wanted to find some new pottery for my collection. Luckily there were so many to choose from in the MEZ Alaskan Pottery booth that the biggest challenge was selecting just one to bring home. 

The last thing I had wanted to get was an outfit for each of the girls from krazykidlets, but I wasn't able to make it over to the booth. I did find the proper Facebook page & have since ordered a dress for each of the girls (sneaky sneak...it is FROZEN, well the print is Disney Frozen themed incase you literally didn't know about the film & thought I bought my girls frozen dresses. hehe!) 

Those are all of the things I picked up at Colony Days. If you live in AK & want to find some of these amazing local business, check out Friday Flings on Fridays in Palmer. I will also link all of the Facebook pages & such at the end of this post. Now I'm going to just share the rest of my pictures from the day. I did not take as many as I would like, especially while at the top of the Butte because it was sooooo windy! 

After we got home from Palmer we went to North Star Bakery for a really late lunch/early dinner & I snapped a few more photos of the kids because the light was just amazing. 
It was quite an amazing Friday & even thought it was a day packed with lots of bits of everything it was somehow one of the most relaxing days for me in a long while. Perhaps it was because I spent the day with some fellow moms who are just fantastic & there was just an unspoken understanding that kids are kids. So that when each of us needed to take moment to handle our brood, whether it was a bathroom trip or pictures on top of a mountain we all just helped when we could & enjoyed the day together. 
P.S! Try the lemonades from Sweetie Pies! They are so refreshing! 

P.S.S. I uploaded a youtube video haul of all of my Alaska Made finds so check out the link-link below!

Alaska Businesses: 
Meadow Creek Boutique
https://www.facebook.com/meadowcreekboutique https://www.etsy.com/shop/meadowcreekboutique

Sweetie Pies Fried Pies 
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sweetie-Pie-Fried-Pies/141363065929843

MEZ Alaskan Pottery
 https://www.facebook.com/pages/MEZ-Alaskan-Pottery/133543176658700

Krazy Kidlets
https://www.facebook.com/krazykidlets

North Star Bakery
https://www.facebook.com/pages/North-Star-Bakery-Alaska/247946852335

Friday Fling
https://www.facebook.com/FridayFlings

Colony Days
https://www.facebook.com/ColonyDaysPalmerAlaska

Other Places to Find Me: 
YouTube
http://www.youtube.com/alaskalove12

Twitter & Instagram
alaskalove12