Pages

Thursday, May 15, 2014

DIY Mercury Glass | With Rust-Oleum's Mirror Effect Spray Paint

DIY Mercury Glass

I have many obsessions, it's probably unhealthy. Over the past couple of years my obsessions have grown to include, ikat prints, cross body bags, statement necklaces & most importantly for this post.... mercury & mirrored glass. 
I've purchased candles, frames, ornaments & other random decor items that are various shades of Mercury Glass. I love all of them. About 6 months ago my Pinterest feed was flooded with DIY projects with Krylon's Looking Glass Spray Paint. I was so excited! I could finally create mercury or mirrored glass EVERYTHING!!! Well....I could, if anyone, I mean anyone in Alaska stocked the Looking Glass Spray Paint. I have called every store between Anchorage & the Valley that could potentially have it, from Lowe's to Michael's...not a can. :( 

Last weekend on a trip to Home Depot for Krylon's Metallic Gold Spray Paint, I saw the tiniest can of spray paint. Amongst all of the giant full size bottles was a undiscovered gem. With a *new* sticker posting it's arrival (it's probably been available in the Lower 48 for a year. haha!), I grabbed a can. I should of grabbed 2 or 12, but it was priced rather high at $8.99. 


Rust-Oleum's Mirror Effect Spray Paint! For those of you who have been able to use Krylon's Looking Glass you're probably judging me, but I promise as soon as I can find some it will be added to my spray paint hoarder level collection. :) As soon as I got home with this find, I busted out a former beverage dispenser that ended up cracking about a month after I bought it last summer. I saved it just so that I could eventually transform it into a Mercury Glass piece of beauty. 

I'm so very happy to say that as of May 10th 2014, my cracked glass beverage dispenser is now a beautiful Mercury Glass decor piece. Here's how I DIY-ed it! 

My lovely cracked beverage dispenser. :( 


Supplies.
-Rust-Oleum Mirror Effect Spray Paint
-An Old Sheet or anything you don't mind using as a drop cloth that will become covered in paint.
-Something to paint. From Mason Jars, Vases & Old Bath and Body Works Candles. Most glass things can be transformed into Mercury or Mirrored Glass. Just don't use anything you plan on eating/drinking out of.
-Vinegar & Water Mixture. Use a 1:1 ratio. 
-Paper Towels (Sort of Optional, I'll Explain)
-Bug Dope. AKA a survival necessity for Alaskan Spring/Summers. This is not required for the DIY steps, but if you're going to attempt this outside & you live somewhere that mosquitos are vicious, you're gonna want it! 

Steps.
-Lay out your sheet/drop cloth. 
-Make sure you have washed (soap & h20 or glass cleaner) the glass surface you will be painting on & that it is tried throughly. Bonus if you do so with a microfiber cloth. I used my t-shirt.
-Prepare your can of paint. Shake it. Shake it. Shake it like a polaroid picture. Preferably for at least a minute like the can says. 

-Spray your glass with paint. Rust-Oleum recommends holding the can upright 10-12 inches from the surface & spray in a steady back & forth motion. Use very thin coats. 

-Spray the painted area with the Vinegar/Water Mixture. Hold the spray bottle 10-12 inches away from the surface & spritz lightly. Allow to dry for about 30 seconds to a minute.

-Dab the Vinegar/Water sprayed area with paper towel. (I found this to be optional, while it added texture it sort of wiped a lot of paint away.) Experiment with what looks the best to you. 
-Repeat the Painting-Vinegar/Water Mixture Spraying Steps until the entire surface is coated & you have achieved the coverage you desire. I used about 6 coats & did the beverage dispenser in sections because it was so large. 
-Allow to dry completely. Then display proudly in your home or give away as a gift! 

Tips.
-The Rust-Oleum paint is really thin & runny. Spray evenly & hold the can upright to avoid drip marks. 
-The paper towel method adds texture but it is pretty obvious that it is the texture of a paper towel. I preferred to paint, spray with Vinegar/Water, allow to dry a bit & repeat. Keep the paper towel on hand for any drip marks or large water droplets that you need to dab away. 
-The more coats the darker your Mercury Glass will be. If you want something more subtle just do a couple of coats but if you want a great darker silver appearance use 6-8 coats. 
-Check out Rust-Oleum's Mirror Effect Project Page for more info on the paint itself & how to apply. (Link.)

Here is the final product amongst some of my other DIY projects & the most amazing smelling candle(more on that in a favorites post soon!). How about that smear/streak action on my window?! A wonderful little child attempted to "clean" that area with some tissue & hair mousse. I really need to clean my windows! 

I'm really pleased with how it turned out! I do want it to be a little shinier, so I may add a top coat to it, eventually.


All in all I like the performance of the Rust-Oleum Mirror Effect Spray Paint. It was rather runny compared to regular spray paints. I wish I could compare it to Krylon's Looking Glass version, but that is not in my cards right now. ;) 

Let me know if any of you have used this paint & what you thought!