Pages

Friday, March 7, 2014

Spotlight On Spring Trends. Make-up, Nails, Handbags & MORE!

Spring is in the Air!
I do feel a little silly making a claim that spring has arrived when we received a fresh foot of snow in the last week. But the sun is shining, the moose are making their way through our property daily & it is March after all. 
Even if this Alaska weather isn't 100% on board with jumping on the train to spring, I'm going to get the transition started & share some of the trends, make-up & randomness that I'm loving for this new season.

Bold statement necklaces are nothing new in terms of trends for this season, but this particular one just feels so fresh to me. I love the turquoise/mint detailing & the bit of sparkle. This is a statement piece that can be dressed up or down & it is simple enough for the everyday woman to incorporate into her day-to-day look. Of course it's from Stella & Dot, the powerhouse of well-made, gorgeous statement pieces. This Rory Necklace in Blue was just released this week & if you are as captivated by it as I am you can purchase it from my Stella & Dot site. (Link) You better get one soon though because I have a feeling it will be sold out pretty soon! I just ordered mine today & you can be sure it will be popping up in some videos this month. 




I think it is safe to say that blush is totally a thing for spring. The beauty world is a buzz with the arrival of Hourglass' Ambient Lighting Blushes. Hourglass took their beautiful highlighters & blended them with some stunning blush shades to product a hybrid blush/highter duo that is going to be perfect for spring/summer when you want to rock some tinted BB cream, blush, mascara & just GO enjoy the fun of the sun. There are 6 shades (Radiant Magenta shown above) & they are available online & in person from  Sephora. (Link)

I would be crazy if I mentioned blush for spring & left out the 4 new Cheek Pop blushes from Clinique. Where Hourglass brought out the best of the blush & highlighting world, Clinique stayed true to lovely pigmented blushes. Each shade comes with a cute daisy pressed into them & they all just shout spring! I'm going to have to get my hands on Plum Pop & Peach Pop(shown above) before they sell out. If you must have these for spring you can find them at Sephora as well. (Link)

Nail Art! Florals! I love floral prints but when it comes to pulling them off on a bigger scale-shirts-pants, I just can never seem to get it quite right. So I edit myself & incorporate them in the details of an outfit. These floral printed nail wraps from NCLA are perfect! I love the hint of floral & the contrast of the black & white detail. If you haven't given nail wraps a chance now is the time. They are super easy to apply & if you, like me, can't even paint your right hand without some level of disaster they make everything so much easier. Shop some great ones(including Nailing Hollywood pictured above) from NCLA. (Link)

Orange lips. Say it with me....orange lips. They are a thing. While shades of orange, tangerine & bright citrus were all over the Fall 2014 runway shows, I think this is a trend that is better suited for the brighter seasons of spring & summer. I mean, are we really going to want to wear orange on our lips in November people? This Revlon Colorburst Matte-BalmStain in Mischievous is a perfect way to give this trend a shot without forking over a mini-fortune. I own this shade as well as the Audacious one & I plan to feature them in a tutorial/how to wear video/post very soon. If you happen to see them at your local drugstore don't be afraid to try them out! You can find them online from ULTA as well. (Link)

 
Mermaid waves are back! If there is one trend that I am 100-million-percent happy to see make a come back it is the tousled, easy-breezey, mermaid waves. This beautiful hair trend was all over the 2014 runways, from TopShop Unique (left) to Versace(right), there is a version for everyone. This was my go-to look for my hair from 2003-2009 so I have to say that I'm thrilled it is back. If you would like to see a how-to video/post just let me know! On the other side of the runways the other major trend was low-ponytails, some were slicked back & others were full of volume. There really is something new for all of us to try & love! 


If you are a lover of GIANT handbags like I am, I have some sad, sad, news for you. Our bigger than our heads style bags are O-U-T & the mini bag is in. I feel like this is ideal for summer because I don't tend to need to carry around as much stuff as I do in the winter time (gloves & hand warmers, anyone?) so these smaller-adorable bags are a welcome trend for me. Each of the bags pictured above are from Forever21 & retail for $20 & under! I personally love the mint shade one & the chain detail on the black textured one. | 1.| 2.| 3.| 4.|

It would't be spring without the return of maxi dresses & skirts right?! In addition to the beautiful prints on the runways one thing was common....gladiator belts. Now if you are a bit curvier like I am the idea of a giant belt across your midsection seems a bit horrifying. Luckily ASOS has this this gorgeous dress with a metallic gold toned bar-belt in the front from Little Mistress. This dress has a bit of an illusion as this belt doesn't go all the way around, it's just a detail in the front that will add some definition to your waist & pull the whole look together. If you are as crazy about this dress as I am you can find it on the ASOS site. (Link) Just a warning to anyone ordering from the US-especially Alaska, shipping does take a while...so order ASAP if you want to be wearing this before the April showers arrive. 

Those are my current picks for the 2014 Spring trends! I'm sure I will be adding to the list throughout the next couple months so keep an eye out for some posts, videos, tweets & all things spring from alaskalove12.

What are your picks for the new season? 

lots of love!
sadie