Pages

Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Shop My Stash #4-Too Faced Better Than Sex Mascara

Spotlight Product of the Week
I have been a huge drugstore mascara fan for as long as I can remember, it is one of the make-up products that I have a hard time splurging on as the results from a $6 tube & $20+ tube are often the same or better. The only time I have tried or used a high end mascara in the last five or so years is when sample tubes were included in subscription boxes or as a part of limited edition sets as a bonus sort of item. Which is exactly how I stumbled upon this magic tube...I say magic because usually I'm not amazed enough to fall in love with a mascara with a spendy price tag. This time something quite spectacular happened & this little tube has become a favorite as well as this week's Shop My Stash,Spotlight Product!

Too Faced-Better Than Sex Mascara
Back in December my cousin sent me the Too Faced-A Few of My Favorite Things Limited Edition Holiday Set, the palette itself was my main reason for lusting after the set but there were 3 bonus items included. A Lip Injection Color Bomb-Moisture Plumping Lip Tint in Bee Sting, a pink & gold chevron printed make-up bag, & a small tube of the Better Than Sex Mascara. The mascara sat in my mascara drawer for almost a month before I tried it out. When I finally reached for the pretty pink matte-metallic tube I didn't have any expectations-I hadn't read any reviews & I had absolutely no idea what to expect. 
I curled my lashes & applied the first coat. I was shocked!!! My lashes were not only lengthened but full of volume without clumping. Unless I'm in a rush or just wearing minimal make up I like to have full volume, long, blackest-black lashes-without clumping or fallout. This mascara is a total gem & I have been wearing it almost every single day since (My Physicans Formula Organic Wear in the Green Tube is my other most reached for mascara). After using up the small sample tube in under 3 weeks I purchased a full size during my next trip to Sephora & I've been loving it ever since.

The brush itself is rather large & has an hourglass shape-which Too Faced said was inspired by the shape of a woman's body. The bristles themselves are very stiff, perfect for applying this collagen based formula. With one coat my lashes were coated with super black mascara & instantly lengthened & volumized as I mentioned above.
I like to apply 2-3 coats of this mascara to achieve very dark, long, volumized lashes. Basically I like to get as close to wearing false eyelashes on a daily basis without actually wearing false eyelashes (Nothing is really a replacement for falsies though!). When I apply multiple coats I like to wait a minute or two in between each coat & while there are many techniques to applying mascara I find that with this particular one I like to twist the wand around in the opening of the tube to remove excess rather than wiping the brush clean between coats. This clears the brush itself of debris & clumps making the application more precise & less likely to cause your lashes to clump together.  I apply the mascara starting at the base of the lashes & sort of wiggle the wand back & forth to ensure each lash is coated & that the space between them is maintained. I will also turn the wand to use the tip of the brush to apply mascara to the shorter/thinner lashes on the inner & outer corner of my eye. 

I can not believe how much I love this mascara! If you are looking for a splurge worthy mascara that is perfect for creating length, & volume on your lashes without clumping or fall out this is it! If you prefer a much more natural look for your lashes I wouldn't recommend this mascara as the end result is rather full & dramatic. Now, it is NOT waterproof so you will see smudging if you somehow get your lashes wet during the day, other than that this stuff stays put all day long. I have worn it for 12+ hours without any flaking, fall out or smudging making it the perfect mascara in my opinion. 

I have had my tube for over a month now & the formula is just as consistent when applied as it was the first day I used it. I have begun to notice that the amount of product that is left is getting quite lo, so if you plan to use this pretty little thing every day for almost 2 months you will probably need to plan to repurchase before the end of the 2 month mark. I know I will be! 

Too Faced Better Than Sex Mascara is available in stores & online from Sephora for $23. You can purchase your very own tube, here! 

as always, love from alaska
sadie