Pages

Thursday, January 30, 2014

Wet N Wild MegaSlicks Balm Stains!

MegaSlicks Balm Stains
This time of year is my favorite when it comes to new drug store beauty products. The limited edition holiday collections are tucked away in my stash or being used daily & drugstore brands are busting out new products left & right. If you don't want to be tempted by the newest beauty trends, I suggest avoiding the drugstore cosmetic aisles for a while. 
In the beginning of January I picked up 5 of the Wet N Wild MegaSlicks Balm Stains & I have been testing them out ever since.

There are so many chubby crayon style lip products on the market & I instantly compared these to every other one I own. These are not as long lasting or pigmented as the Urban Decay Super Saturated-High Gloss Lip Colors & they do not have the minty-lip plumping effect that is found with Tarte's LipSurgence or Revlon's Just Bitten Kissable Balm Stains or their new matte/laquer balms. My favorite drugstore balm-stain style products (so far!) are Cover Girl's jumbo gloss balms & elf's matte lip colors. 
The Wet N Wild MegaSlicks Balm Stains are much more sheer & thin in coverage than any of the products mentioned above. There are also only 6 shades in the range & brands like Cover Girl & Revlon offer a lot more color options. Each of these chubby little friends have .10oz of product & are in a twist up style packaging. Hooray for products you never have to sharpen! 
Now onto the fun part...

There is a balm-stain missing from this picture & my collection. I lost the Nudist Colony Shade sometime last week & I haven't been able to find it. :( There are 6 total shades in the collection & they retail for $2.99 (prices depend on store), I purchased mine at the Wasilla Fred Meyer. At the time I bought mine they each had a coupon for $1.00 off attached to them & all Wet N Wild products were Buy One Get One 50% off. 

127 A Stiff Pink 
This is going to be a go-to shade for Spring/Summer 2014. Right now I'm still loving darker shades & wearing nude tones. I just had to purchase it when I saw it because usually new products sell out quickly & then they never seem to be in stock again.

A Stiff Pink  is a bright Barbie Pink Shade, while it's not completely matte it isn't super glossy looking. I'm looking forward to wearing this shade around Easter when spring is in full swing! 

126 Rico Mauve 
This has been my most worn shade out of the bunch(tied with Nudist Colony until it disappeared), it is a beautiful soft-cranberry-nude color & it has been just perfect for the ending of winter/sneak peek of spring.

Rico Mauve is a total winner for me! I will probably be wearing this shade year round. I was afraid it was going to be too brown toned from how it appeared in the packaging, it has a hint of brown to it but it is more of a berry-nude which suits my skin tone quite well.

124 Lady & The Vamp 
This is the best named shade ever! Deep purple shades are totally vampy & this one by Wet N Wild is spot on. If you are looking to try out a darker lip shade balm stains are ideal, you can use one layer as a sheer wash of color or you can build them up to create a darker more pigmented dramatic look.

This shade is the most suited for winter as it is a perfect plumy-deep shade. I was actually loving wearing this with Nudist Colony in the middle of my lips as a highlight to make my lips look fuller. Seriously, I'm going to have to replace that damn shade. 

 128 Pink Promise
This is the least flattering shade on me. It's a ballet slipper pink & it has a pearl like finish. I have worn it underneath other nude lip products & it pulls through, giving a basic nude more of a pink-undertone. When worn that way I like it, but it won't be making it's way into my must haves anytime soon.

Here it looks like it is a bit of a peachy color, but that's just the lighting. It is a true baby-pink! 

From top to bottom...A Stiff Pink, Pinky Promise, Lady & the Vamp, & Rico Mauve. 

The MegaSlicks Balm Stains are all decently pigmented & have the seem to have the same formula. They do bleed outside of the lines a bit if I tried to build them up beyond 2 or 3 coats, they totally stayed put of I used a lip liner, but that kind of defeats the simplicity of a balm stain. I would recommend exfoliating your lips before wearing any of these balms as they do highlight dry patches. I exfoliate my lips almost daily no matter what type of lip product I will be wearing. When wearing these Wet N Wild Megaslicks I skip any lip moisturizer as these are pretty hydrating on their own. They apply easily & each of them have a silky texture which is probably why they can tend to bleed off the lips a bit. 

For their price range I would say these are a good purchase if you are wanting to try out some new shades & prefer a more sheer wash of color. If you are looking for something more matte & pigmented check out the Revlon Matte Balms & if you want a pigmented but not too glossy balm, Cover Girls Jumbo Gloss Balms. I will be re-purchasing the Nudist Colony shade & I could of gone without the Pinky Promise color. There is 1 shade in the collection that I did not try-Red-Dy or Not. I won't be purchasing it as it appears to be more of a orange-toned red & those shades of red do not suit me at all. 

If you can find these Wet N Wild MegaSlicks Balm Stains on sale or with the $1.00 off coupon attached to them I would recommend Lady & the Vamp, Rico Mauve, A Stiff Pink & Nudist Colony! :)

as always, love from alaska
sadie