Pages

Wednesday, September 25, 2013

ipsy for September-Classic Beauty

ipsy is easily my favorite beauty subscription box in the $10-$15 range each month. I get to excited for it to arrive & I stalk the tracking updates like a paparazzi following a Kardashian. I NEVER peek at what is going to be in my ipsy just so that I'm thoroughly surprised each month & I have never been disappointed in my ipsy products until now. The September bag was themed Classic Beauty, while everything in my bag was certainly perfect for the theme it was just a little underwhelming for me.

IPSY FOR SEPTEMBER Classic Beauty

I have been on a search for the perfect brow pencil, so far everything I have found is either too dark or too auburn toned. ipsy did get it right when they sent me this Victoria Jackson product this month. It works perfectly with my skin tone & I have really liked filling my brows in with it! The pencil comes in with a built in sharpener & the taupe shade is designed to work with each & every skin tone.

The swatch here looks a little dark from the lighting & how my camera picked it up. I also drew a thicker line so it would show up in the photo but the pencil is made for you to be able to draw really fine "hairs."

When it comes to Classic Beauty black eyeliner is certainly a staple. While I do love black kohl liners myself I have been really into liquid liner lately, & I had already received a product from Starlooks in an ipsy a couple of months ago. I will totally use this product but in terms of $12 liner it just isn't anything special.


The liner is a true dark black shade, but it isn't the creamiest kohl liner I've ever tried. 

I was really excited when I opened my ipsy & saw a single shadow from Nyx, unfortunately it's in a shade that I will probably hardly use. It is too glittery for me to be able to use it as a highlight under the brow bone & it really isn't pigmented at all. While it does show up with a lot of sparkle on my lid by itself it is very chalky & just not something I will get a lot of use out of. I need to start going out just so I can create some nighttime looks! haha.

I really had to build this swatch up to get my camera to be able to pick it up, you can see even here that it has a pretty chalky finish. I've heard that NYX single eye shadows are really hit or miss depending on the shade, this for me is just a miss.

This is another product that was in my September ipsy from a company that I've already been sent by ipsy before. While I LOVE my Cailyn Linefix Gel Eyeliner this tinted balm is really just not getting it done for me. When I think of tinted lip balms that are amazing I think of the Maybelline Color Whispers or REVLON Lip Butters. The pigmentation & staying power of this Cailyn Big Apple shade is great, but when it comes to being a balm it's a total fail. It has a matte finish which I appreciate, but it completely dries out my lips & is really tight feeling on the lips. If I try to rub my lips together at all to help apply this product it is actually almost impossible!

The pigmentation is beautiful & it's a total fit for a classic red lip, but there are much better options out there that won't cost you $19!

This is my favorite product from this month! Usually high end mascara doesn't impress me any more than anything you can find at the drug store. The shape of this wand is so perfect for my lashes! It's a true jet black mascara & I wish I had been sent a full size.

I really like this hourglass shaped wand, it's the perfect length for my lashes & grabs onto each & every single lash. 

Alright ladies! That was my entire ipsy bag for September, Classic Beauty. What did you think? While I do see what ipsy was trying to do with the products they sent me, I could fill in my brows, add some sparkle to my eyes, line my upper & lower lashlines, apply some tinted balm & mascara & boom! Classic va-va-voom look. For me receiving products from 2 brands that I have already been sent was really disappointing & the NYX eyeshadow was just bad. 
If I could swap products out I totally would take the BUTTER London Polish, Freeman Facemasks & the skyn Iceland firming eye eye gels. hehe! A lot of what was sent to me this month was based on the new IPSY-Match quiz, I'm actually going to re-take mine & see if the products in my October bag end up being a better fit. This was by no means a BAD ipsy bag it was just sort of underwhelming & I wasn't over the moon wow-ed like I have been. :) 

Want your very own ipsy glam bag? OR do you want to see what the actual BAG for September looks like...because I totally forgot to snap a photo of it! ;) CLICK HERE!!! :) 

love from Alaska,
Sadie