Pages

Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Let's Review...Birchbox Finishing School-August 2013

Oh Birchbox. We have a serious on again-off again relationship. Last month we were totally on-again & then my August box arrived. Let's check out what was in the Finishing-School themed Birchbox for August 2013. 

Samples like this are my biggest problem with Birchbox. Tiny, foil samples with .04fl oz of product in them. How am I supposed to truly test out a product, especially a facial cleanser with .08fl oz??? Now I know that Birchbox is $10 a month including shipping, but I just can't get over crummy samples like this. I had never heard of Malin+Goetz before & I'm interested in some of their other products now but I just wish I had more of this to try. :( PS. Pill towels?! Yeah, check them out...here! I want to get on a flight just to try them.

This is not the first set of eyeshadow samples that I've received from Coastal Scents but it is the first one that I actually like. All of the others that were sent in my subscription boxes seemed to be really chalky & lacking in pigmentation. All 4 of these are really pigmented & seem to be less chalky, I'm not sure if Coastal Scents did something different with the formulation for their collab with Birchbox, but I'm not complaining.

Swatches (From right to left)
Icelandic-Pretty pale lavender color-even though it looks blueish here!
Pink Silver- This is my favorite shade in the sample quad. It is a beautiful light rosy-gold pink color. 
Baby Pink-I'm always hesitant to put pink shades on my eyes for fear of looking sickly...but this shade is making me rethink it. 
Persian Pink-Brighter than the Baby Pink color, it actually is something I would like to wear as a blush.

Now, I couldn't find an eyeshadow palette on Coastal Scents site with a $34-$39 price tag, so I checkout the Birchbox site. There are two palettes Neutral Mirage & Metal Mania that are exclusive collabs for Birchbox from Coastal Scents. Check them out if you are a CS fan & like palettes with 84 different shades of shadow! :)

KMS California FREESHAPE Hot Flex Spray (1oz Sample, 6.8fl oz Full Size $19)
I'm a huge fan of KMS California products, the salon where I get my hair done here in Wasilla carries them & the dry shampoo is among my holy grail dry shampoos. Now, call me crazy but I have not stayed current with the pre-blow dry hair sprays. With this hair spray you are supposed to spray it into towel dried hair, then blow dry & style as usual. It is meant to extend the styling of your hair & help protect against breakage & damage with a medium hold. I haven't given this a try yet, but it might allow me to no longer need my Living Proof Style Extender & I would be okay with that. :)

I recieved the shade Dusk Till Dawn & when I first swatched it I really thought it was going to be way too dark of a shade for me to wear. Then I tried it on & while it is still a little dark for what I would call a "nude" lip it will probably work really well for fall & winter looks. 

Here it looks like it is a really brown-toned nude which is why I thought it was going to be way too dark for me.
On my lips...it is more sheer than it appeared when I swatched it & with the natural shade of my lip it doesn't appear as brown. I wouldn't wear it without foundation, blush & at least some mascara though as it did seem to stand out too much for me as a nude shade. 

This was the Life-Style Extra for this month. Seriously, two pieces of double sided tape? Usually I need 2 pieces of tape for each boob so I'm not sure what I will do with this. I'm sure it will come in handy at some point so I will just keep it in my Stella & Dot pouf in my purse until the need for it arises.

When it comes to Birchboxes this one was just sort of okay. Nothing in it really wow-ed me or had me excited to see what the next sample was. Then I compare it to my ipsy for August & I really just feel underwhelmed. The hairspray is probably my favorite product in the box & I will find a way to wear the ModelCo lipstick & Coastal Scents shadows, but the facial cleanser & double sided tape are just sort of boring. Now if you are interested in your own birchbox check it out here! After this review you might not want to sign up, but it is $10 a month & usually has some awesome samples. :) 

as always,
Sadie