Pages

Monday, August 19, 2013

Hiking with Kids-The Bodenburg Butte. :)

Hey guys! Are you enjoying the last bits of summer? For some reason once August arrives I feel like summer is really coming to an end. Perhaps it's all of the Back to School gear in all of the stores or the rain that seems to surround the weeks of the Alaska State Fair. We have been making the most of all of the wonderful, warm summer weather we did have & last week with a good friend of mine the kids & hike up the Butte.
The Butte has two sides that are open for people to hike up. The West Side which is considered the "easy" side & the "hard" side. The kids have hiked the West Side with their grandparents before but I had never had a chance to get out there & hike myself. We ended up hiking the "hard" side & while it was a bit of a challenge I would recommend it to people with older children who do not need to be carried in a pack or a sling. If you are interested in hiking out the West Side of the Butte you can check it out here. The West side is better maintained & we probably should of taken it to the top, but hell we all survived & had lots of fun! 

 About 10 minutes into the hike we saw these beautiful horses. The horses got to see more of us than they probably would of liked when my camera, still in the case rolled under their fence & into their space. Luckily we were able to get it out with out any issues. Seriously I have the worst luck sometimes.


Lilliana & Nikoli. Beautiful headbands are optional for hikers, mine just insisted on wearing it the entire time. Nikoli is wearing his awesome AK Wild Salmon Tee.

All 3 of the kids climbing up the rocks. Now this is probably the trickiest part of the hike going up or down. We took our time & on the way down I was able to position myself to pick up the kids & set them down onto a lower point. 


On top of the Butte views. We started our hike around 7PM & made it to the top by 8PM. It was really overcast all day long so it was something magical when the sunlight broke through the clouds as we reached the peak.


My hiking shoes...my dear friend Amanda who went on this hike with us thought I was absolutely nuts for wearing these sandals for a hike. I've always preferred to be in sandals or barefoot & these shoes have made it on many a hike with me. I know I'm not the only one who rocks some sandals for hiking, fellow Alaskan Whitney over at Life Alaskan Style recently shared a post where she too wore sandals on a hike & I was so exited to see that I wasn't the only one! I just do not like my feet too feel too constricted & with how totally flat my feet are most shoes end up making them hurt so much I would of been miserable the entire time. Unfortunately it was time for these sandals to say good bye as on of them had a strap break on our way down. :( I've had them for about 6 years! 



Trying to get a picture of all 3 of these little cuties jumping at the same time is harder than it looks. :) The 3rd on is one of my absolute favorite of them, I just adore the little twin moment Lilliana & Nikoli are having & Danielle looks as happy as she can be. She was in her own perfect element the whole trip, from her cow-girl boots, to horses & climbing a mountain. It was a wonderful evening hike for all of us. 

The silliest mountain climbers you have ever seen. 

Sisters. :) 

We took this photo about 5 minutes before we started out hike down. It is a camera self-timer failure! I had angled my camera too high & as a result all you can see are mine & Amanda's faces. The kids were actually sitting next to us, but you wouldn't know it from this photo! It was so funny when we were checking the photos out later that evening & saw this one. Sometimes you capture brilliant, beautiful moments & then sometimes you just get your round, sweaty face at the bottom of the frame. It really just looks like we are photo-bombing a picture of the mountains!

We had an amazing hike & it was certainly just what I needed at a time when my sense of fitness needed a bit of refreshing. I'm slowly but surely finding my way back to a lifestyle that has balance among the chaos & activity I need to get back in shape.
If you live in AK & are looking for a fun, shorter but challenging hike I highly recommend the Bodenburg Loop. We might make it out to take a hike on the other side sometime in the next couple of weeks, if we don't we will for sure be returning next summer for lots of memories & laughs. :)

as always,
Sadie